Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

Doug Miller wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in news:52b1ea57$0$47753$862e30e2
@ngroups.net:

Doug Miller wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in news:52b1d95c$0$47920$862e30e2
@ngroups.net:

Doug Miller wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in news:52b1d042$0$47758$862e30e2
@ngroups.net:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 12/17/2013 11:24 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Have you looked at the actual stats? I believe NFPA has some good ones
showing 4,000+ residential gas explosions per year.

I'd sure like to see a URL. I did a search, including NFPA
web site, and can't find that stat.

Here is one of their reports:

http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/re...sfactsheet.pdf

And it doesn't show "4000+ residential gas explosions per year", does it?

3,280 give or take, nearly 9 per day on average. Close enough given the
last time I looked it up was in 2010.

Where does it say "explosions", Pete?

Nowhere.

It says "fires".

Clearly you lack the intelligence to understand the dynamics of gaseous
fueled fire incidents. Go back to high school science class.

Clearly you lack the intelligence to differentiate between your assumptions and actual facts.

And it actually is you who lacks the understanding of "gaseous fueled fire incidents", not
me. Nowhere nearly all such incidents are explosions; most are merely fires. You're clearly
unaware that for an explosion to occur, the fuel/air ratio must fall into a fairly narrow band.

If there were actually that many explosions, don't you imagine it would *say* explosions?

There's a *reason* the document talks about fires, not explosions.

There is a reason there isn't a separate stat for explosions - they are
the norm with gas leaks that find ignition sources.