Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Blade guard

On 12/18/2013 10:48 AM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

There is some inspiration to be gleaned from the one of this page of
Grizzly's catalog (bottom of page):
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2013/Main/13

Dust hose attaches in the wrong place. To do any good at all, the dust
hose needs to attach at
the *front* of the blade guard, not the rear.

That makes sense now. How could they have got that wrong (just
rhetorical question)?
Thanks Doug.

Bill

Well It may not be wrong, SawStop claims extreme efficiency with their
guard and the hose is at the rear. It all depends on the turbulence and
flow inside the guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJEi_lWGeLs

I have the SawStop but don't use the guard at all, If I was worried
about the little bit that comes out on top of the table I would probably
use the guard but IMHO it is not enough to worry about since you are not
going to get all of it anyway.

But having said all of that, the vast majority of the saw dust goes
down inside the saw. Your sander, if used with out a vacuum, might
produce more dust than the top side of the saw with out guard dust
collection.

Just saying, it might be a lot of trouble to try to catch 10% of the
dust on top.