Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Blade guard

On 12/17/2013 8:54 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Bill, while not much better than what Sonny had, I like the hood
better. Not the arm.. I think if you marry Sonny's and this together
you would likely come out with a nice unit.
You might even marry some pvc into the support arm (along with the
pipe for some dust extraction).

See the alt binaries.

I agree that the 2" dust collection is most-surely superior to the
"trim attachment. For former design used 3/8" Lexan too (compared to
1/8"). It seems like it would even work better if the vacuum hose is
attached over the rear of the blade.

Barring a ceiling attachment, it seems like 2 separate configurations
are required to avoid most conflicts (one from the left, and one from
the right). Furthermore, it should be fast and easy to alternate
between them.

And it might use EMT since I have 4 or 5 pieces laying on the floor! : )
Imagine a giant C-Clamp with a "blade guard hood" attached to it.
Maybe the C could just be "swung" out of the way? As many say, "The
devil is in the details...".

Bill

There is some inspiration to be gleaned from the one of this page of
Grizzly's catalog (bottom of page):
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2013/Main/13

Yes with one exception, the dust collection to the rear of the blade is
useless. Start using your saw, and you will see 20% of the dust heads
toward you, and the rest to the cabinet. I never have any dust thrown
toward the outfeed area.
--
Jeff