Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Blade guard

On 12/17/2013 7:41 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Bill, while not much better than what Sonny had, I like the hood
better. Not the arm.. I think if you marry Sonny's and this together
you would likely come out with a nice unit.
You might even marry some pvc into the support arm (along with the
pipe for some dust extraction).

See the alt binaries.

I agree that the 2" dust collection is most-surely superior to the "trim
attachment. For former design used 3/8" Lexan too (compared to 1/8").
It seems like it would even work better if the vacuum hose is attached
over the rear of the blade.

No, most of the dust gets thrown to you, so to the front is better.

Barring a ceiling attachment, it seems like 2 separate configurations
are required to avoid most conflicts (one from the left, and one from
the right). Furthermore, it should be fast and easy to alternate
between them.

You don't need both. Most of the goods you cut will be flat. But when
you are tenoning or cutting splintes the arm will be in the way. The
right side attachment extending to the left is pretty standard for a reason.

And it might use EMT since I have 4 or 5 pieces laying on the floor! : )
Imagine a giant C-Clamp with a "blade guard hood" attached to it. Maybe
the C could just be "swung" out of the way? As many say, "The devil is
in the details...".

Consider large EMT so that it does the dust collection. Not your EMT
that you used to wire the place. That would work for just supporting it,
but consider putting the dust collection through the support just the
way a store bought unit works. Attach an elbow and you are good to go.

Bill

--
Jeff