Posted to alt.home.repair

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

On 12/17/2013 12:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
At 2:30am the house shook like it would from a sonic boom and it
turned out to be a gas explosion in a neighborhood within a mile
from me. It destroyed a two story brick apartment building
containing two families and several children were sent to Childrens
Hospital and several adults to another hospital. The report is that
two adults are unaccounted for. The explosion leveled the building
sending bricks into the air striking other buildings and breaking a
lot of windows. I think somebody was messing with a gas line,
trying to get a gas heater working then winding up with a gas leak.
o_O

TDD

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see this on any of the morning
news shows today. Wake up call for everyone to check their utilities
& appliances.

One dry winter days I used to keep a pot of water simmering on low on
the gas stove. One time I smelled gas and saw that the flame had
gone out. First thing I did was turn the knob off. Not that bright
-- to turn the flow off from the 'low' setting, it first increases
the gas flow, then fires an arc to light the gas. Fortunately there
was not enough gas to light. Next time I'll remember to open the
doors and air out first.

I have a big pot, a very big pot of water on the stove to provide
humidity on very cold dry days and set a very low flame under it but if
my roommate opens the window behind the stove, a brisk breeze will blow
out the pilots and the burner. Fortunately, the house is old and not
hermetically sealed like a lot of new homes so there is a lot of air
infiltration to dilute any gas. ^_^

TDD