Posted to alt.home.repair

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

On 12/17/2013 12:00 PM, IGot2P wrote:
I think somebody was
messing with a gas line, trying to get a gas heater working then winding
up with a gas leak. o_O

Just curious, why would you think that when you really don't have a clue
as to what happened?

I've seen fires caused by folks fooling around with gas in cold weather.
I'm guessing that someone could have been screwing around with a space
heater. Temps have been very low around here for the past week. The was
some talk about them smelling gas during the Summer and there was no
explosion last summer. Me and my late friend GB repaired a lot of gas
lines for folks who tried DIY with their gas appliances. If a tiny leak
develops in a space heater, the place can fill with gas and when the gas
comes in contact with pilot light on the water heater, you get a big
boom. I certainly don't find anything amusing about the accident because
there were children harmed and that makes me mad. Alabama Gas is very
good about responding to reports of leaks no matter what neighborhood it
is. I've call the fire department before when I caught a strong odor of
a gas leak when I was driving through a neighborhood and the fire
department and gas company responded quickly. It wasn't a small leak if
I could smell it while driving. If a leak had been reported to Alabama
Gas, I know darn well the guys would have been right out there tracking
it down. o_O

TDD