Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...
At 2:30am the house shook like it would from a sonic boom and it turned
out to be a gas explosion in a neighborhood within a mile from me. It
destroyed a two story brick apartment building containing two families
and several children were sent to Childrens Hospital and several adults
to another hospital. The report is that two adults are unaccounted for.
The explosion leveled the building sending bricks into the air striking
other buildings and breaking a lot of windows. I think somebody was
messing with a gas line, trying to get a gas heater working then winding
up with a gas leak. o_O

TDD

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see this on any of the morning news shows today. Wake up call for everyone to check their utilities & appliances.

One dry winter days I used to keep a pot of water simmering on low on the gas stove. One time I smelled gas and saw that the flame had gone out. First thing I did was turn the knob off. Not that bright -- to turn the flow off from the 'low' setting, it first increases the gas flow, then fires an arc to light the gas. Fortunately there was not enough gas to light. Next time I'll remember to open the doors and air out first.