Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default A question on ethics.

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 20:39:37 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:55:09 PM UTC-8, wrote:
My client asked me to pick-out, purchase and install an appliance for him.

It turned out that the appliance that I picked had a rebate coupon.

I filled out the coupon and mailed it and received the money.

How much of the money should I give to my client?

I have decided to give my client the entire rebate minus one dollar for my trouble and expense since, as someone here mentioned, I was acting as an agent of my client even though the rebate had nothing to do with my decision to purchase the appliance since I didn’t even know there was a rebate until I made my decision to buy that particular model which had the rebate or for that matter if or when I would even get the rebate. Most of my clients are very nice people for whom I would gladly do the same. In the future however, since I do also have some clients that I don’t particularly like, and under the same circumstances for those particular clients I would probably not even bother filling out the rebate coupon or mailing it in since I know I wouldn’t be getting any money for it.

I think you are doing *almost* the right thing. You should give him
the whole rebate, don't hold out that $1. It's such a small amount
it's meaningless as far as money but think of the impression it leaves
to people (and your customer) who hear about that measly $1 - It makes
you sound like a real chiseler even though you are giving the other
$29 dollars away. If he tells the story to his friends what will they
remember, that you gave him the $29 or that you kept the lousy $1 ? If
you give back the whole $30 you come off like a 100% upstanding guy,
if you keep the $1 you just come off as cheap, no one will remember
the $29.