Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 23:48:48 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 18:24:04 -0500, krw wrote:

After using one, the thing that sold me on the Nest was the ability to
control the second-stage heat. Since no one was living there, I
didn't care about recovery time so turned off the second stage unless
it took more than two hours to recover.

What's a second-stage heat?

Heat pumps often have two "stages" of compressor or a resistive
heating element for very cold weather. When this kicks in, the power
meter goes into turbo-$ mode. Some thermostats kick in the second
stage if the delta-t is two degrees or more. Not good, in most cases.

Googling for 'second stage heat', I find it's apparently related to
heat pumps.

Yes.

So, I guess I don't have that (since I never saw a heat pump in my life).

Amazing. It's not just a Southern thing, though the electric rates
(and the need for AC anyway) down here make them very attractive. My
brother, when he was in N. Philly, had one in his house.