Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival
Steve from Colorado[_3_] Steve from Colorado[_3_] is offline

Default Nevada snow family found

On 12/14/2013 12:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
Winston_Smith wrote:

I think bowman has made his choice and I agree with smaller more
useful knives. The biggest ugliest one I carry is the air-force
survival version of the Kbar. Smaller blade. It's the least used of my
edged tools.

That actually has a 1/2" shorter blade than the BK2 but the blade pattern
makes it look more aggressive. I mostly use the BK2 for trail grooming. If a
pine falls across the trail, the branches make it difficult to crawl over
the trunk so I lop them off. I did whittle my way through a tree about 3" in
diameter to remove it entirely. It can be done, but a hatchet would be
better. For most tasks, it's a pain in the ass.

The good news is you can baton with it. I don't know if it was Bear Gryllis
or some other TV survivalist that made that popular but it seems to be the
ultimate test of a knife these days.

"I remember how my great-uncle Jerry would sit on the porch and
whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out of a larger
toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first one, except now
it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And no paint, because he had
whittled off the paint."

From Jack Handy's "Deep Thoughts"

http://www.boche.net/deep_thoughts.htm

--
"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction." -
General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)