Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:36:16 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:41:43 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 05:01:25 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:12:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Danny you can switch to an electronic thermostat for very little money
Is it a 1:1 conversion?
Do folks have a recommended thermostat to use as a replacement?

It's certainly not cheap, but I have a Nest (need another one). The
instructions (online) are very good and if you need help, they're very
responsive.

Yikes! ($249.00)

http://www.amazon.com/Nest-Learning-Thermostat-Generation-T200577/dp/B009GDHYPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387060410&sr=8-1&keywords=nest+thermostat

Yep! I bought mine when after we left our other house. It was empty
all last Winter so wanted to keep tabs on the house. We left the
Internet connected so I could monitor the house temperature and bump
up on the really cold[*] nights.

After using one, the thing that sold me on the Nest was the ability to
control the second-stage heat. Since no one was living there, I
didn't care about recovery time so turned off the second stage unless
it took more than two hours to recover. If it's that cold, the second
stage was needed. This control (and WiFi remote) completely sold me
on the Nest. However, I haven't sprung for the second one for the
main floor, here.
[*] Well, it's in East-Central Alabama, so I guess not so "really
cold". ;-)