Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default ESP Custom Guitar Shop (was: More on glue)

On 12/13/2013 10:05 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 8:55 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a case
for it.

Yep, the "Here, hold my beer and watch this" mentality strikes again.

A concept completely lost on this culture ... just because you can do
something doesn't mean you should.

Well, I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. This isn't Jackass material,
after all. Presumably this guy has worked on his craft, did the work
sober and didn't hurt anyone or damage any property in the process.

But yes, I like for an instrument to be designed first to be played,
after which any decoration is OK with me. Those gunstocks look like a
significant impediment.

When I was a young man I met a quite accomplished guitarist who had one
of the best-looking guitars I had ever seen. The contours of the guitar
were some relatively standard solid-body shape. But the front surface
had a picture of a sailing ship in intricate detail, not painted on, but
inlaid, each shade a different kind of wood. A beautiful piece of work.

Better yet, the guitarist had made it himself.