Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

You could install a thermostat inside the return air duct but
leave the old thermostat on the wall for your wife to fiddle with. ^_^

TDD

Best advice I've heard in years. I remember Earl Proulx
(the Yankee Handyman) did that. I read in his book, a
couple decades ago. I've long since misplaced the book.
He put the working Tstat behind the sofa on the baseboard.

When my sister and her boyfriend lived in a house, we
discussed run a second Tstat wire. The guy next door had
the stat, and he'd turn it way down before going to work.
They asked him many times not to do that, but to no avail.

--
..
Christopher A. Young