Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A question on ethics.

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 03:21:46 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/12/2013 11:55 PM, wrote:
My client asked me to pick-out, purchase and install an appliance for him.
It turned out that the appliance that I picked had a rebate coupon.
I filled out the coupon and mailed it and received the money.
How much of the money should I give to my client?

You used your resources to purchase the appliance and if you are so
inclined, you could discount the price you charged your customer but
with rebates, you have no idea how long you'd have to wait to get it
and the cost of tying up your resources must be considered. If you have
the monetary resources that are large enough for you to operate while
waiting on a rebate check, you could discount your price, or wait until
the rebate check comes in a refund that amount to your customer. Your
customer would get a pleasant surprise and be inclined to recommend you
to anyone he knows who may need your services. ^_^

If he does pocket the rebate, whether he considers it "included" in
the purchase price or not, it should be disclosed to the buyer, up
front ("price including any rebates"). Both sides of a contract need
to understand the contract.