Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A question on ethics.

On 12/13/2013 11:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 12/13/2013 4:15 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/13/2013 04:09 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"philo " wrote in message
Well, most of the people I repair computers for have very little
money so if I charge at all, it's typically just $25.

Only once did I get a job for a very wealthy business man but
since it went over 5 hours, I gave them a 20% discount.

Nothing wrong with that. I suspect that you have a love of what
you are doing, too. I had a love of what I did, but my body did
not. Well, with the exception of the last year and a half with one
employer. That was all TS&R. Once my employer wanted me to wear
multiple hats again (be a one man work crew), I went elsewhere. My
body no longer liked digging trench, laying out/lifting heavy
things, pretty much entire projects, all by myself.

It felt good to wake up in the morning and not feel like I had
been rolled down a hill in a barrel full of rocks. I do, however,
have an urge to further my PLC skills and work in a pure motor
control environment. Nothing like toting a laptop instead of all
the other crap. That, and my wallet might stop bitching at me.
:-)

I was in the industrial battery business for 38 years...the large
ones found in fork lift trucks. Two years ago my knees went and had
to get them replaced. I am glad to be retired now.

Although even after the knees were replaced they are not as good as
new...my back sure feels a lot better now.

I have been sort of forced to learn how to repair laptops now...as
towers and desktops are not as prevalent as they once were.

I look at laptops more as watch repair though.

I fix computers all the time and replace screens in laptops. I picked up
three broken laptops from a pawn shop for $100 and was able to get two
of them working right away because they had software problems and dead
batteries. Another thing I do is get batteries and chargers for folks
who have dead laptops. Of the three laptops I bought one is a 17"
Toshiba with a full sized keyboard having the numeral keys on the right
side. I got it so I could watch movies and surf the web while I was in
my hospital bed. The Toshiba has Win Vista and the smaller HP has Win 7
the third laptop has some sort of BIOS problem which prevents it from
accessing the internal hard drive, It runs fine off a live Linux CD.
I've got quite a collection of different laptops and desktops now and
have a lot of fun with computers. ^_^

TDD

Hi,
Any of them has HDMI port?

Yea, the HP Win7 laptop has an HDMI port that I've thought of hooking up
to our 55" LCD TV. I have a remote control that plugs into a USB
port on a computer and was thinking of using it for the big screen.
My roommate has an HP Win7 laptop too that has an HDMI port and we've
hooked it up to the big screen to watch some movies I downloaded for
him. I rarely watch the big screen or TV in general because I have
vision problems and it's easier for me to watch everything on one of the
desktops we have around here that have 23" LCD monitors. I do have
a ton of desktops that I could use for the big screen but I have no
urgent need to do it. ^_^

TDD