Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mroberds@att.net is offline

Default Turntable drive belt.

wrote:
Hi all, I'd like to get my wife's old turntable up and running for
the holidays. It's a Dual CS505-2 and I need a new belt. Any
favorite places to buy such gear.

In 2006-ish, I bought replacement belts for my cassette-based answering
machine from the local electronic supply store. I first inquired at a
couple of places that still advertised TV/VCR/stereo repairs. One
didn't have any leads and the other steered me to the store. At that
time, either I couldn't find an online source, or I didn't mind paying
a little more to see the belts in person.

I found that it helped to know about what I wanted before I went in
there. A lot of audio belts seem to be made or supplied by "PRB" or
maybe "EVG", which are both tentacles of Russell Industries. Russell
doesn't seem to sell onesy-twosey to humans; only to companies.

http://russellind.com/client/download/PRB_Belt_XRef.pdf says (PDF page
146) that a Dual "CS-505/-1" takes an "FRY13.1" belt; no word on a
CS505-2. The specifications on PDF page 275 say that an FRY13.1 subs
to an FRX13.1, which is 13.1 inch inside circumference, 0.140 inches
wide, and 0.031 inches thick.

If the particular shop really does sell belts, they will also have the
little measuring jig that can measure yours - basically a sliding ruler
with round pegs at the ends. If they measure an old belt, they subtract
a fudge factor of a few percent (stretch) to get the replacement belt.

You appear to be somewhere in New York state. If you're near NYC, I
feel really confident that *somebody* in town still has one on the
shelf; elsewhere I am not as sure. Russel Industries has an address
on Long Island, but I don't know if they have a "will call" counter.

I found LPgear selling it for ~$20.

The cassette belts were smaller, like 2 inches ID, and I recall them
selling for $2 or $3 each. This is somewhat of a hazy memory, though.

Matt Roberds