Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A question on ethics.

On 12/13/2013 4:09 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"philo " wrote in message
Well, most of the people I repair computers for have very little
money so if I charge at all, it's typically just $25.

Only once did I get a job for a very wealthy business man but since
it went over 5 hours, I gave them a 20% discount.

Nothing wrong with that. I suspect that you have a love of what you
are doing, too. I had a love of what I did, but my body did not.
Well, with the exception of the last year and a half with one
employer. That was all TS&R. Once my employer wanted me to wear
multiple hats again (be a one man work crew), I went elsewhere. My
body no longer liked digging trench, laying out/lifting heavy things,
pretty much entire projects, all by myself.

It felt good to wake up in the morning and not feel like I had been
rolled down a hill in a barrel full of rocks. I do, however, have an
urge to further my PLC skills and work in a pure motor control
environment. Nothing like toting a laptop instead of all the other
crap. That, and my wallet might stop bitching at me. :-)

I worked one day last month with JH and Stinky, installing a computer
and VoIP network. I was installing jacks on the Cat5 cable and testing
the cable to verify proper operation. The Cat5 cable tested almost as
good as Cat6 so I knew we did a good job. I had been getting up and down
to install jacks and test the network so I put a lot of stress on my
joints. It took me two weeks to recover from that job. I spent part of
two days this month helping install a wireless IP camera system for
a guy and I remarked to JH that I couldn't understand why I was in so
much pain while we were driving home. I finally realized that while I
wasn't climbing a ladder or running the power cable, I had gotten under
the desk a number of times to get the computer, the DVR and KVM switch
working. The house also had a flight of stairs going out back that I had
negotiated several times while testing the system. I tend to concentrate
on what I'm doing and before I became very ill and was working on big
installations, I would look down and see that I was bleeding wondering
where in the hell the blood came from and when did I get cut. I only
hurt when I stop working and the pain gets my attention. o_O

TDD