Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A question on ethics.

On Friday, December 13, 2013 3:22:05 PM UTC-5, Roy Biggins wrote:

as to your question, it depends on if you want your client to refer you

and/or give you more work

Good grief, Malformed!

I recently had new furnace and central air units installed.

The dealer did an excellent job installing both.

Based on past and present work performed, I would recommend this dealer to my closest friends.

I assume that this dealer gets an end-of-year sales rebate from the factory.

I don't feel entitled to any portion of that dealer's rebate.

.

..

The above doesn't sound anything like the situation that occurred. A
problem is that a lot of info is lacking. But clearly this isn't a
volume rebate that some reseller gets. Without any more info, I would
suspect that the client agreed to pay for the cost of the appliance that
the OP obtained at a local store plus the cost to install it. If that
appliance had a rebate, then I would think in most cases, the client is
entitled to it. But we don't know for sure, because we don't know what
the actual contract that was made was.

I recently bought paint at HD that had a $40 rebate. That rebate was
available to anyone. If I had a contract with a painter to pay $1000
for his services, I pay for the paint, he picks it up at HD, then clearly
that rebate would be mine. It's also not a good idea to pull this with
a customer, because it's usually easy to find out what rebates there are
online and then you have a problem.