Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Newsreader Needed

I've been using Agent since v0.99c in 1996(ish). I'm holding at 1.93. I have a
copy of 4.2, which is MUCH better at handling binaries, but I don't like the way
it handles text groups. I have not tried the current version, but will check it
out. If Forte is letting you d/l 1.93 for free as someone posted earlier, go
grab it for your text groups. Plus it handles yENC just great. My biggest
gripe is that it doesn't do html automatically and does not have nested folders.

Regards,
Roy

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:11:13 -0800 (PST), Jeff Mazur
wrote:

On Monday, December 9, 2013 11:56:37 AM UTC-5, Lee Michaels wrote:
I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system that

does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not just me but

a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic newsgroups.

Any suggestions? I will pay something if necessary, but my needs are

simple. A few newsgroups accessed a few times a day. And there is not

anywhere near the volume there used to be. So demands on the computers

resources should be minimal.

I need to be able to read and reply to posts. And a bozo filter would be

nice. Some capability to save some posts would be nice as well. That is

all I really need. Any suggestions?

The new system is a win 7 64 bit system. The email client is in office

2007, specifically outlook 2007. You used to be able to read UseNet

newsgroups in Outlook 2007, but Microsoft have removed anything that does

not use their own servers servers for newsgroups.

+1 for Agent, or Free Agent, very good programs in their day.