Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT(?) Sheared lug nut stud

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:23:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:05:21 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 08:42:27 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi guys, Putting the (front) snow tires on my 2002 Corolla I sheared off a stud.
Apparently this is fairly easy to fix. But I've never done it.
Two questions.
Do I need to take off the Brake calipers and rotor?

That depends on how much clearance there is in the rotor. Can you get
the old stud out the back and the new stud into the hole without
dismantling the disc from the hub? If so, you're golden. Otherwise,
it's time to tear it down.

Oh, looking online, I see that they have the floating rotor. Yes,
you'll need to remove the caliper so the rotor comes off and exposes
the hub. A few quick taps on the broken stud with a hammer and drift
punch will press it out the back. It doesn't take much.

Thanks, too bad about the brakes. Just trying to guesstimate how much time it'll take tonight. (The little lady doesn't like that I'm driving with only three lug nuts.. )

Second any tricks for pulling the new stud.
(what do I pull against?)

A washer. Using 2, with a coat of grease between them, is better.

My lug nuts are capped, so it seems like I'll need the perfect length of cylinder (going over the stud and contacting the wheel) to pull against.. maybe I should get an uncapped lug nut at the auto parts store?

Yes, get an uncapped nut with a flat top. Invert it to the flat is
against the washer and pull the new stud into place. If there is
extra length, which there should be without the rotor in place, you
can use two washers. Grease them for an easier time. Use the impact
gun to press it in via the threaded stud.

Hmm OK, I was thinking of putting the conical side of the lug nut against the washer... thinking about some sort of self centering.

George H.
--

I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!

You will need more than 2 washers unless you do what I do - and use
the rotor. Pop off the caliper, pop off the rotor, knock out the stus,
insert new stud from behind, install rotor backwards on hub, install a
couple greased washers and then install an open end lug nut, cone side
out and crank it down. Total job can be done in 15 minutes if you've
done it a few times - absolutely no more than an hour if you have the
nut, stud, washers, and grease as well as the required tools at hand.