Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_2_] Danny D.[_2_] is offline

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:56:54 -0600, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

The electrical code in the US demands that the furnace have
a permanent connection to the power source...no plugs allowed.
But when I asked the electrical inspector if I could put a plug
on it so I could run it from a generator, he said, "no problem".
The electrical code is very strict...except when it isn't.

Now, but when the unit was installed? I know of two units that are
operated that way.

I must apologize for having never even looked before this
morning to see how to turn off the furnace (I just hit the
breakers up until now).

Following the power cord with a flashlight in the dark mouse-infested
recesses, I see it terminates on an inaccessible back wall, in a
normal 120V three-pronged power cord:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5477/1...6604d692_o.gif

I pulled the plug this morning, and wished that I had not,
since it's a bear to get back on the wall, because of the
ductwork in the crawl space.

So, next time, unless it's an emergency, I'm gonna flip
the breaker.

If I ever get a round to it, I'll see if I can hook up
a switch on the outside of the furnace, where that wire
enters at the door switch.