Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On 12/10/2013 11:24 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:02:31 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, heck. The most expensive appliance in your
house, and you're crossing wires cause "someone"
said?

I haven't actually "jumped" any wires yet, mainly for that reason
(that I don't know what I'm doing yet).

I *did* read the entire PDF sent to me by the Carrier company,
which explained how the system works by connecting "red" 24VAC
power to Red to "call for heating".

It was interesting that the fan (green wire) is actually controlled
by the furnace fan-control PCB board. Apparently the green on the
thermostat merely sets whether the fan is always on or whether it's
controlled by the furnace PCB board.

And, it was interesting that the fan speed is typically set to low
for heating and to high for air conditioning.

I also learned the size of my system is "036065", which means it's
80,000 BTU/hour for heating and 1220CFM for cooling.

Is that a pretty normal home heating and cooling system?

Normal is based on the size of the house, climate,
windows, insullation, occupancy, how often the
doors are opened, trees, sunshine, price of fuel,
and a couple other things. Normal isn't the same
for everyone.

Yep, connect red to red, to call for heating.
Sigh. (shakes head)

--
..
Christopher A. Young