Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:06:33 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Leave that door open for now and tape down the switch. You may have a
intermittent ignitor.

I've been playing with it for a while, and, can't seem to fully reproduce
my success. I'm going to hit the sack and attack it again in the daylight.

Seems to me all those *timers* are making a clean starting point difficult,
particularly the thing called a "lockout timer"...
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5518/1...27d0a8ef_o.gif

I'm starting to wonder if it's a bad thing that the wife loves to turn the
thermostat off and on constantly all day, as if *she* is the automatic
control!

That 'stat is old work horse using wet mercury bulb switch. It is
tilting up/down by temp. sensitive bimetal coil. Just leave it at about
75 deg during trouble shooting(to make it call for heat) Leave it alone
and adjust it when problem is fixed.

Don't worry about lock up timer it only starts when safety issue arises
like over heating triggering over heat limit sensor. This is
kind of thermostat for fixed temp sensing. There are few in there for
different functions/purposes. If you want to reset the lock out timer
just power cycle the furnace,(resetting control board) Hope it is not
cold there. It is -18C up here tonight.

You in Silicon valley? In San Jose area? There I have a good friend of
mine who runs company called K.Y. systems. His back is EE like me.
He may may not help you if you call him and mention my name,
Tony(VE6CGX). His name is Young Kim. He goes out of country often on
business.