Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On 12/10/2013 11:27 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:14:03 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yep, that's a limit but look to see if there's a little push button
reset between the 1/4" Faston terminals where the wires plug on to the
switch. Some of them have a manual reset that will click when it is
pushed in to reset it. ^_^

I found this picture on the net of the little red push button:
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Ou...nual_reset.jpg

So now that I know what to look for, I can see that same button
in my limit switch, only mine is black:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/1...90f0e3a7_o.gif

Now the only safety switch I haven't found is the VSSS Vent safety
shutoff switch.

When that trips, it's in series with all the other safeties and will cut
the 24vac control voltage to the furnace. If it isn't an automatic
reset, you have to find the little buttons and push them in to reset
the control circuit. Like a circuit breaker, it tripped for a reason
so you need to investigate the cause. This is where experience comes
into play. Perhaps a friendly service tech will show you what's wrong
and answer questions about it. I had a little old lady crawl under her
house with me so I could show her what was wrong with her furnace and
what needed to be done to repair it. ^_^

TDD