Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico Danny D'Amico is offline

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:08:26 -0800, wrote:

Turn furnace switch off.

There is no furnace switch, that I know of.
The wires come directly into the furnace from the outside.
Of course, I can shut off a breaker ...

Connect the red wire to the white wire.
Turn the furnace switch back on.

OK. I have the breakers off. I'll wait a few minutes now.

From another post, before I ruin something, is this correct?
a. Connecting red to white should fire the furnace
b. Connecting red to green should turn the blower on

Is this where I should make those jumper connections?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2849/1...e7793ca9_o.gif

BTW, normally I *measure* stuff (voltages usually) before jumping
from one point to another; but I would need to know what *two*
points to measure. Based on Stormin' Mormon's prior post, I'll read:

A. Red to White (AC voltage) ... is this what I should read?
B. Red to Green (AC voltage) ... is this what I should read?

NOTE: I haven't finished reading everything, so, if I'm repeating,
I apologize.

It's unlikely it's the thermostat to begin with, so why waste time
on all kinds of tests when there is a simple and very direct method?

I've buttoned up the thermostat. It just took me a while to report
back because I was trying to figure out how the darn furnace works
and what the parts were...