Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:36:20 PM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:42:11 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

SM: Should be 24 VAC. May be as high as 28 VAC, but that's rare.

I got 27 VAC at a whole bunch of those connections.

The problem was I wasn't sure which *two* points to choose in

order to test and debug why the heat wouldn't go on.

For example, I test VAC from the RED wire to what?

I test VAC from the WHITE wire to what?

etc.

Is there a ground on this thing?

Turn furnace switch off. Connect the red wire to the white wire.
Turn the furnace switch back on. If the furnace doesn't fire
up, it's not the thermostat. It's unlikely it's the thermostat
to begin with, so why waste time on all kinds of tests when there
is a simple and very direct method?