Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico Danny D'Amico is offline

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:43:29 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

OK. Here is the 9-page Payne 394 JAW PDF that Carrier sent me today:
http://en.packupload.com/085CHEN6AJG

I was hoping to just debug the (much simpler?) thermostat first, but,
since someone asked about the furnace, I went down there and noticed
the door was off.

When I put the door back, the blower just blew incessantly.

So I took the door back off, and pressed the white switch that gets
pressed when the blower door is on, and the blower just kept blowing
for as long as I held the switch pushed in.

Back upstairs, teh cover is still off the thermostat, so the thermostat
settings are still at HEAT (versus OFF, COOL) and AUTO (versus FAN ON).

This is the schematic printed on the inside of the door panel:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2863/1...ef8ce342_o.gif

This is another smaller schematic above that big one on the door panel:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5518/1...27d0a8ef_o.gif

And, this is on the outside of the door, for the electric pilot:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/1...44b32818_o.gif

What I'll do right now is read up on the net for how this furnace
works, and the first thing I'll do is try to identify the parts.