Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2002 Unisaw

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Whack a 2x6x8ft construction timber into 8 equal (12") pieces, then
either bandsaw a 3/8"x1-1/2"x11" piece away from bottom leaving a 1"
long
hook or epoxy a 3/8"x1-1/2"x1" piece to the 2x6 to form a hook.

Repeat on top of 2x6 to make two push sticks from each 2x6.

"Bill" wrote:

I see. If I understand correctly, then, you like 1 1/2" wide push
sticks.

---------------------------------
Yes
---------------------------------
Do you have some 3/4" wide ones too?

----------------------------------
Yes
-----------------------------------
I only mention that because it seems to be the common size. A 1.5"
wide one sounds a little safer. Of course, I realize that the work
would direct the best choice.

----------------------------------
They are cheap and fast to make.
----------------------------------
I'm sure boat builders need substantial tools!

-------------------------------------
Yes but not necessarily for wood working.

Once you get past a good contractor's saw with a good fence
along with a good stacked dado, a 6" jointer and a bench top
planer, you are pretty much done with the heavy iron.

Also a good router kit is a must.

After that, it's sanding time since there are no square cuts when
finishing a boat.

Lots of time with a 12" disk sander along with a hand held 3-7/8"
right angle sander/grinder equipped with 24 grit sanding disks.

Much more free hand work than when building kitchens or furniture.

Lew