Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default 2002 Unisaw

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

I strongly recommend, for a home made push device, one that hooks at
the back of the work and also has a long section that rests on top
of the work. You really want to also hold the work down in addition
to pushing. If you need a picture I can provide one.

The push sticks that simply push from the back scare the heck out of
me.

Whack a 2x6x8ft construction timber into 8 equal (12") pieces, then
either bandsaw a 3/8"x1-1/2"x11" piece away from bottom leaving a 1"
long
hook or epoxy a 3/8"x1-1/2"x1" piece to the 2x6 to form a hook.

Repeat on top of 2x6 to make two push sticks from each 2x6.

Lew

I see. If I understand correctly, then, you like 1 1/2" wide push
sticks. Do you have some 3/4" wide ones too? I only mention that
because it seems to be the common size. A 1.5" wide one sounds a little
safer. Of course, I realize that the work would direct the best choice.
I'm sure boat builders need substantial tools!