Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Valve to fill additional compressed air tank

On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:17:11 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

I woke up to some fun this morning. -=No water=- The pump pressure

is up but the lines are frozen. I put a heater in the pump house (the

light had burned out, allowing the freeze?) an hour ago but no joy

yet. I'll put it in the crawlspace in a few minutes and see if that

does it. sigh

It has been 10 or 11F here two days in a row. The lowest I've seen

here before is 17F, and my outside line burst 8 years ago. I have

insulated the exterior pipes and shut them off for the winter now, so

this is the first problem I've had, and the first time losing water.

There's a shutoff valve for each inside and outside lines.

Crap!

Been there and done that. Not fun. If the pipes are metal , you can hook an Ac welder to the pipe with one connection to each side of the frozen section. Put the welder on the lowest current and turn it on. The current thru the pipe will heat the pipe enough to allow a trickle of water . And the trickle of water will melt more of the ice in the pipe.

A good long term solution is heat cable made by Raychem. It is a cable that does not draw much current when warm and more when cold. Look on the internet for better write up.

Dan