Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Valve to fill additional compressed air tank

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 10:04:12 -0600, Ignoramus3322

On 2013-12-08, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:22:27 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:00:43 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 04:55:09 -0500, Karl Townsend

If you find a good solution, please let me know. I bring a tractor PTO
compressor out to the field every day. I could reduce the tractor RPM
(save fuel) if such an accumulator could be designed.

I've thought of adding a couple old 100 lb. LP bottles but don't want
to wait for the whole system to build pressure before starting. The
shears need 100 psi to work so you can't start until almost to cutout
pressure.

Karl

With air compressors..there is going to be wait time..unless you
manage to come up with a screw compressor.....and then there will be
reserve fill time. Fact of life.

That's a big "maybe".

If you stanch all the leaks, tanks and lines will be full at startup,
so where's the delay?

You just stated it yourself. If you staunch all the leaks..

I rather suspect Iggy isnt interested in that. He has had his
building now....what..a year? And he as yet hasnt done it.

Over 2 years.

I have a lot of compressed air piping, a lot of it under the ceiling.

Yes and? Question #1...do you need all of it?

If no...disconnect that you dont need. Dont remove it..simply
disconnect it. Cant unscrew that run down bay #3? Cut it with your
trusty Sawzall, hand thread and put a cap on it. If the time comes
when you need that disconnected run..put a union in.

Its not..not rocket science. You are not doing manufacturing..so the
need for massive air handling runs simply doesnt exist. And all that
extra plumbing is a huge air sink and a ****load of leaks.

I do work for a guy who does some machining and machine sales in a
pretty good sized building. Know what he has for air? A 3hp Sullaire
110vt compressor on wheels. It may have a 10 gallon tank on it.
Period.

With a pair of 50' hoses...he can do just about anything, from blowing
the dust out of a control to filling the tires on his truck, to spray
painting machines. He had a bigger compressor...but he also had a
1/2" capable Bliss 8' shear that he used regularly. When it went
away..so did the need for a big compressor.

Just something to ponder, old buddy.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---