Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis Davis Dennis Davis is offline

Default SWIMBO at CRIMBO

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 07/12/2013 21:47, mark wrote:
SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an
MP3 player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of
other apple products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not
bought from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

As you would expect, the world according to apple revolves around
itunes. If you add you tracks to that first, it should be able to
sync them with the ipod.

Quite. So if you're not on an Apple or Microsoft box you're
out in the cold.

Or perhaps not. For my antique ipod Nano I used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grip_(software)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/grip/

to convert the CDs to MP3 files. And then used:

http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Home

to put the MP3 files on my ipod.

Both grip and gtkpod should be available for most Unix
distributions.
--
Dennis Davis