Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SWIMBO at CRIMBO

SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an MP3
player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of other apple
products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not bought
from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 21:47, mark wrote:
SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an MP3
player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of other apple
products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not bought
from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

mark

You can import things into iTunes either as MP3s or by burning to MP3
within iTunes. Easy-peasy - job done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote:

SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an MP3
player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of other apple
products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not bought
from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

I use a Sansa Fuze; it has a config setting which allows one to set whether,
when its USB cable is connected to a computer, it appears to the computer
just as a disk drive, or some other thing I've never explored.

I plug it in, see the folders etc, copy files, and dismount (ie 'safely
remove') it. It sees its been disconnected from the computer and that
something has changed and takes a minute or so to rebuild its index. And
that's that.

I think lots of MP3 players do this sort of thing... provided they are not
Apple ones. You need to read reviews of them on eg Amazon, as other people
will mention how this is done.

I have never in my life used iTunes. I collect mp3s from various podcasts
(subscribed to using a Windows program named Juice), and radio programmes
from the BBC (using the Windows version of get_iplayer - which is mainly
known as a Linux app but works on Windows too), and by ripping CDs (using
Windows Media Player), and sometimes I even buy them from Amazon.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an MP3
player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of other apple
products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not bought
from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

If you've already ripped them, just add the files to the iTunes library
on your PC or Mac. Otherwise, iTunes will rip them for you.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 21:47, mark wrote:
SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an MP3
player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of other apple
products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not bought
from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

As you would expect, the world according to apple revolves around
itunes. If you add you tracks to that first, it should be able to sync
them with the ipod.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 07/12/2013 21:47, mark wrote:
SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an
MP3 player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of
other apple products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not
bought from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

As you would expect, the world according to apple revolves around
itunes. If you add you tracks to that first, it should be able to
sync them with the ipod.

Quite. So if you're not on an Apple or Microsoft box you're
out in the cold.

Or perhaps not. For my antique ipod Nano I used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grip_(software)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/grip/

to convert the CDs to MP3 files. And then used:

http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Home

to put the MP3 files on my ipod.

Both grip and gtkpod should be available for most Unix
distributions.
--
Dennis Davis

SWIMBO Dr. Deb Woodturning 6 March 22nd 07 05:59 PM
Swimbo's David Lang UK diy 7 May 3rd 05 10:02 PM