Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default Welding mask - necessary?

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message news

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:37:20 -0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The
spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

It all a big conspiracy by elf'n'safty... you're no wimp, try it without.

(and when the nice lady in A&E mentions "arc eye", you can tell her not
to be silly, because you looked real close, and could not see any UV, so
obviously there was none there!)

People tell you not to look at the sun, that does no harm either. I could
believe that long term it might damage your eyes....

If you are intent on being a plonker and don't believe the warnings given
here by all means at you own risk go ahead and give your self arc eye. It is
VERY painful and as other have said can have lasting consequences.

But as an already reduced to one eyed Cyclops as I am, if you do, I think
that you are an utter fool and don't see why the NHS should be burdened with
idiots like you.

AWEM