Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New 3D Metal Printer

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:17:46 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Brian Lawson wrote:

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:33:01 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

Hey Larry,

Her's a nice site that shows the 4 main types of
"industrial/commercial" 3D printing in use, and a short explanation of
why each is used.

We in the "hobby" field consider 3D printing to be new and cutting
edge, and I guess it is for use in a "hobby", but the SLA printer
(stereo lithography) has been around for many many years.

So far the only home shop use I've thought up for affordable 3D printers
would be to print plasticized wax patterns for assembly and subsequent
investment casting of a real useable part.

Given the printing speed of affordable 3D printers I don't even consider
them reasonable for test parts vs. conventional CNC machining of
machinable wax test parts. Why would I want to wait all day for a test
part that looks like some kid made it with a can of cheese-wiz when I
can machine a wax part in 30 min?

Some..some parts can be machined in 30 minutes...others...30 hours

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---