Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New 3D Metal Printer

http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

I tried freehand TIG "printing" once, actually additive sculpture.
Other than being limited to details of at least the puddle size it
went pretty well.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:33:01 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

Da bois from Tech kin make it goot for sure betcha!

Sigh....had to look at the webcams...got me mighty homesick

http://www.mtu.edu/webcams/

In the "view cam"..I can see where my grandmothers house used to
be..where my poppa grew up...sigh

Gunner, Yupper through and through..living in the high desert a very
long way from his "home"

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 23:02:38 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

I tried freehand TIG "printing" once, actually additive sculpture.
Other than being limited to details of at least the puddle size it
went pretty well.
jsw

MIG wire can be had in many..many sizes types and diameters.

Thats actually a pretty damned good idea using mig. Very good idea

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

Definitely "iffy", but a proof of concept that should spur others to
advance the design to a more practical level.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

I like it, Even if the current state of MIG may not allow for machine
finished production for some parts a well formed "blank" may result in
substantially reduced machining and wasted material.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

Hey Larry,

Her's a nice site that shows the 4 main types of
"industrial/commercial" 3D printing in use, and a short explanation of
why each is used.

We in the "hobby" field consider 3D printing to be new and cutting
edge, and I guess it is for use in a "hobby", but the SLA printer
(stereo lithography) has been around for many many years.

Brian Lawson

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

Hey Larry,

Her's a nice site that shows the 4 main types of
"industrial/commercial" 3D printing in use, and a short explanation of
why each is used.

We in the "hobby" field consider 3D printing to be new and cutting
edge, and I guess it is for use in a "hobby", but the SLA printer
(stereo lithography) has been around for many many years.

So far the only home shop use I've thought up for affordable 3D printers
would be to print plasticized wax patterns for assembly and subsequent
investment casting of a real useable part.

Given the printing speed of affordable 3D printers I don't even consider
them reasonable for test parts vs. conventional CNC machining of
machinable wax test parts. Why would I want to wait all day for a test
part that looks like some kid made it with a can of cheese-wiz when I
can machine a wax part in 30 min?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/kt6hn7e

Michigan Technological University is putting out plans for what
appears to be a MIG printer. g Check it out. Looks IFFY to me,
but I hope it grows. It's entirely Open Sourced.

Hey Larry,

Her's a nice site that shows the 4 main types of
"industrial/commercial" 3D printing in use, and a short explanation of
why each is used.

Um, are you going to give us the URL, Brian? vbg

We in the "hobby" field consider 3D printing to be new and cutting
edge, and I guess it is for use in a "hobby", but the SLA printer
(stereo lithography) has been around for many many years.

Isn't that what 3D printing evolved from?

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

Given the printing speed of affordable 3D printers I don't even
consider
them reasonable for test parts vs. conventional CNC machining of
machinable wax test parts. Why would I want to wait all day for a
test
part that looks like some kid made it with a can of cheese-wiz when
can machine a wax part in 30 min?

Look around at the sculpted items you might customize, like doorknobs,
faucet handles, gearshift knobs, lamp arms. They have a stress
concentration where they attach to a shaft, where plastic won't last
long. My homemade outdoor faucet handle has a brass handgrip on an
aluminum shank, which was easier to broach to match the double-flatted
faucet shaft.

Replacements for failed commercial parts might be a good application,
but you'd have to understand why the original part failed. For example
I made a new aluminum augur clutch handle mount for my snow blower
after the plastic one cracked from embrittlement in very cold weather.

This chair is another good example of customization where home 3D
printing isn't appropriate. I wanted a comfortable high-backed
computer desk chair I could recline in to watch TV, but armless so I
could slide it in under the keyboard drawer.

I finally bought a high-backed armchair on sale and replaced the arm
assemblies that join the seat and back with aluminum diamond plate
triangles. I relocated the holes for the back bolts to raise it just
enough to serve as a headrest. The upper leg of the triangles is under
a lot of tension when I recline and a brittle cast material there
could dump me on the floor without warning if it cracked. The diamond
plate is ductile and homogeneous.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Some..some parts can be machined in 30 minutes...others...30 hours

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Using a metal gasifier to run a metal generator using chips made of wood, not metal Pete S Metalworking 3 November 27th 12 05:21 AM
homemade 3d printer. plastic with some metal content [email protected] Metalworking 1 July 10th 09 07:05 AM
HP Printer Dick Electronics Repair 4 March 13th 07 03:33 PM
Metal working tools for sheet metal... slightly different take than usual John Kelly Metalworking 0 November 12th 03 01:06 PM