Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hey Gunner

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 14:40:38 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

I used to shoot an old sidelock .45 rifle. Round balls would punch
overlapping holes at 50 yards, and 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 with the
classic cone in your hand (about 90 grains) load of 3F (off a rest). Hand
cast (wood mold) patched conicals would shoot 2.5" groups on a good
day at 100 yards with 120 grains of 2F. I bought the round balls, but
made my
own conicals... Perhaps maxiballs might have shot better, but I liked the
patched load as the patch makes an almost perfect engagement with the
rifling. I really liked that rifle. Some scum sucking pig swiped it
out of my garage one day when I stepped in the house for a soda. I like
my
place in the country now better. I can't shoot in my backyard, but nobody
is getting close to my garage or my shop without coming down a long
driveway, or jumping the canal and the fence in the back.

Heh , I have a 25 yard "range" set up along side/behind my shop . Right
next to the straw bales I use for archery practice . And you can get close
to my shop and "house" thru the woods , but Goldie wouldn't like that . And
she bites ...after alerting me by barking her head off .
My rifle is a .50 Plains rifle , half-stock and a single retainer key .
Shoots pretty good , I can still get 1" groups at 25 yds offhand . Eyes
ain't what they useta be , I'd like to put a scope on it . Got one that will
work , just need bases and rings . And time ...

Bases are easy to machine for Weaver rings, or you can buy a set for
$10 on ebay.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---