Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hey Gunner

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 06:39:22 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 07:34:49 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

Day before yesterday I melted down about 50-60 lbs of wheel weights
, to add to my stockpile of bullet material . The only BP shooting
component I can't produce at home now is the percussion caps . I
guess I should stock up more of those , I've only got a few hundred
. Everybody else up here is using inlines , with 209 primers ,
pellet powder , and sabots . Mine's a sidelock with patched hand
cast balls . The wheel weights will be cast into 150 gr .308/.311's
for sub loads .

Aren't the wheel weights a bit hard for a muzzle loader? Back in the
day I was into muzzle loaders for some years and I always found that
as pure lead as I could get worked best. For breach loaders a harder
allow works well though.

We used to hand load .45 acp target loads at a velocity that was
possibly slower then a muzzle loader and used hard bullets. I always
wondered what the cap and ball revolvers shoot best.

I mentioned elsewhere in this thread that balls and slugs for the
muzzleloaders are cast from lead reclaimed from shower pans , lead piping ,
and other pure or nearly pure lead . My C&B's like pure lead , anything else
is too hard to ram , and doesn't engrave the rifling as well . I have a
Colt's patent mold that will cast a slug that will size to fit a .45 ACP or
long Colt , haven't tried it yet - but the ball from that mold fits my .44
C&B .

Ive a Ruger New Army that likes round balls over slugs every time. and
it shoots better than most cartridge arms if loaded properly (.457
bore) with 30grs of 3F
Several of the others (single shots)..including the Tingle, will do
nearly as well.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---