Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Safe to re-cell a rechargeable shaver?

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Lobster
scribeth thus
Well it's done 10 years on the original batteries, so can't complain; but I
want to get some replacments as they are definitely stuffed.

First port of call was the manufacturer's website, where I find this in the
FAQ for my shaver (at http://tinyurl.com/pcflz8h):

"Q. Can I replace the built-in battery with any type of rechargeable
battery available on the market?

A. No, definitely not. You should on no account replace the built-in
rechargeable battery with any type of rechargeable battery you can buy in
the shops. The built-in battery is tailor-made for the charging system in
this shaver. Do not try to replace the battery yourself."

Hmm.

So - Google then directs me to Allbatteries (http://tinyurl.com/pyl794h)
where I find exactly the battery I need, along with the statement: "This
battery has been manufactured with high quality components. It conforms
with the exact specification of the original manufacturer and the battery
is guaranteed against all manufacturing defects." (It certainly looks like
my battery; but the original has no relevant markings to compare it with).

Do we think it's safe to assume that the manufacturer's FAQ is just
revenue-protecting, arse-covering ********, or is there any genuine reason
why I shouldn't just go ahead and order the new battery?

--
David

Just done my Two Braun units with new ni-mh units and all fine

In fact replaced them with higher capacity cells and they last longer.
Used batteries, tagged ones, from RS components..

I think this topic was discussed here quite recently.

As others have said, there should be no problems. While it's nice to use
tagged batteries, you can solder to normal untagged batteries - but you
need an iron that is man enough (especially when you are soldering to
the negative case), and you've got to be quick about it to avoid
damaging battery.

I believe another question asked previously was "Can original nicads be
replaced with NiMH?". I've certainly done this, and I think others have
too.
--
Ian