asalcedo asalcedo is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rumm View Post
On 06/12/2013 10:07, asalcedo wrote:

Using a thin backing board (aqua panel etc) to tile onto might be your
best bet. seal well at the bottom (i.e. seal tray to the wall, then
leave a gap under the panel and fill/seal that, then tile with a gap and
fill/seal that, with a final fillet of seal visible on the outside).

For a belt and braces type solution, you could look for a tray with a
tiling up-stand on it (i.e. a small ledge designed to go behind the
tiles and channel water into the tray).

The house has wooden beams and one has to allow for some movements,
seasonal and others.

So only use grout on flat areas of tiles, and not any of the corners, or
joins to other things like trays etc.

Treating the grout with lithofin grout protector will also help.
(pricey, but a small bottle goes a long way)

Are marble tiles a good solution or should I go for different ones?

I have found that the travatine style ones are somewhat porous, and so
really need to be on a waterproof backing (e.g. a cementious board, or
at least something fully screeded with waterproof adheasive). IME it can
also be difficult to get silicone to bond well to the tiles since water
can get behind it through the tile.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd - Internode Limited - Computer Consultancy and Software Development |
Hi John,

Great inputs.

A backing board (aqua panel etc) is the way to go

And the tray with a tiling up-stand on is a great idea that I will implement.

I now need to research if the tanking kit can be applied on the backing board and then the tiles on top.

If so, that would look like a really watertight solution.

Many thanks,

Antonio