nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

I still remember the blizzard that hit southern Manitoba on March 4, 1966.
I was 10 years old at the time. That blizzard dumped about 3 feet of snow on us, but the wind blew it into drifts that were much higher than 3 feet. My family and I were living in a town of about 4400 people about 25 miles north of Winnipeg at the time. I remember there was a snow drift that went all the way to the roof of our house. My two sisters and me played by climbing up that snow drift onto the roof of our house and jumping off the roof on the other side of our house into the 3 or so feet deep snow there.

The March 4 Blizzard of 1966 by George Siamandas

We got a similar blizzard on November 7th and 8th of 1986.
dnsyl57: Blizzard of 1986
The most powerful local radio station, CJOB, was used as a public service bulletin board to get volunteers with snowmobiles to transport doctors and nurses to the local hospitals, as well as getting prescription drugs to people that needed them.

That was the only time I've ever seen snowmobiles driving up and down the streets of Winnipeg.