asalcedo asalcedo is offline
Senior Member

Default Shower cubicle re-tiling

The shower cubicle in the main bathroom at home needs repair.

It is lined with marble tiles. After a period of several years without re-grouting the tile joints or re-sealing with silicone the juncture with the shower tray, water has leaked through the tiles and silicone joints and damaged the walls behind and surrounding areas.

I am going to re-do the whole shower repairing the walls so that they are sound and firm.

Other than a ready-made shower cubicle, is there a better solution than just re-tiling?

Is there a way to avoid the same problem (leaks through the joints) by laying a watertight film prior to the tiles or something of that sort?

The house has wooden beams and one has to allow for some movements, seasonal and others.

Are marble tiles a good solution or should I go for different ones?

Thanks,

Antonio

Last edited by asalcedo : December 7th 13 at 07:53 AM