Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default My boat is ready to go in the water

On 12/4/2013 1:22 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:44:31 -0600,
wrote:

On 12/4/2013 8:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 04:52:38 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 18:00:33 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Baltic Birch is bitchen, boy.

Its also expensive as hell here in California. Almost double the
price of marine plywood.

IRCC..its $65 a 4x8 sheet of 12mm

I can get 1/2" Marine for $32

Wow! I'm paying $25 for 5x5' sheets of 1/2"/~12mm, $20 on sale. (bad
enough) I'd look around a bit more for a better price if I were you.
It should be had for less in HelL.A. Try hardwood stores as well as
lumber yards. Home Improvement stores tend to price it horribly.

I used some plain 3/4" birch ply for a closet shelf in an upper end
home last month. HD had it for $46 a sheet and it was pretty decent.
9-ply Baltic (or Russian or Finnish) is better, though.

--
Just as a picture is drawn by an artist, surroundings
are created by the activities of the mind.

What I've seen of the plywood and Home Depot and Lowes, I wouldn't use
it to build a shelf at home, much less anything on a boat!

Look, a MUCH better building material for marine use is - Fiberglass!
But it doesn't much lend it shelf to cheap construction.

Materials can be cheap...its those pesky molds and things they are
made from that can get expensive.....

Not necessarily.
Not for one-off work and small production runs.

For instance...
(my most popular Instructible!)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...erglass-parts/

I make my own flat glass on a piece of waxed formica.

Coat almost ANYTHING with white glue for a mold release.

Plastic wrapping tape works well, as does duct tape.

And any shape that will allow a "peel" somewhere will work.