Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My boat is ready to go in the water

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:43:14 -0800, Mikie wrote:

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:21:35 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/4/2013 11:19 AM, no spam wrote:

How well does the swing-down keel work on any of these boats. Typically
first to leak and cause lots of problems that are hard or impossible to
fix - including making noise as you come about etc.?

Well, that's pretty much true of older or poorly maintained boats.
But it doesn't have to be that way.

If the hinge is loose (worn) or there is slop between keel board and
the trunk it retracts into, it will bang around, wobble some, and maybe
have a tack (side) that it sails better than the other.

The pennant (cable that raises and lowers the keel) will sing sweetly at
any speed. But that's pure unadulterated drag.

And the slot for the trunk is not exactly what we call a streamlined
shape...

Another thing is that swing keels are usually cast iron - not lead.
With all the issues that come with iron in salt water.

And the trunk takes up a lot of room in the cabin - right where the
floor could be.

But - some people still like the idea...

I had an 18 foot sailboat with a swing keel 2'x4' 1/2inch steel plate if
memory serves - that was nothing but a pain also. If any growth gets
either into the trunk or box etc. then you have a 'conservation of space'
problem (Only one object can occupy any given space at any given time.)

Have a fixed keel and lift (with a crane) in and out of the water from a
trailer - is the only way to go IMHO.

And if there is no lake suitable for a long fixed keel and no
crane...one simply doesnt bother with the sport. Right?

Now about that growth on freshwater boats..that would be..what? Alge?

Hummm?

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---