Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My boat is ready to go in the water

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:09:10 -0600, Richard
wrote:

Well, I've mentioned it before, but again...
I sold the Capri 26 late this summer and I stepped down as
fleet commodore.

I missed that. Sorry.

WE loved sailing that boat on Texoma, where we could sail for
four to six hours before tacking!

But I had some serious health scares about the end of summer,
and was worried that if I passed, my wife would be stuck with an
expensive toy that she couldn't sail comfortably solo.

She learned to sail on our first boat, a Capri 18 named Spirit.
So we started looking for a smaller boat. And she really likes
Capris. So do I for that matter. We are looking for a Capri 22
or maybe even another 18. (That is still the handiest keel boat
I've ever sailed!) Not terribly fast in outright speed. There is
only so much you can get from a 16 foot water line length. But
we raced it (PHRA handicap) and finished well above the middle
of the fleet each year.

One of the fastest small boats..is the Venture 17..yes..it is.

(The Cat 22 swing keels are FAST!!)

OH Lord, give me patience.
Because if you give me strength, I just might use it wrong!

No, grasshopper, that's not "fast".
Not even from just a speed perspective.

Oddly enough..the guys here in California have been snagging the swing
keeled C22s because they are indeed..faster than even the Capris.
Fact. But its your cash..not mine.

Only downwind, guns, ONLY downwind...
And as I said, any tub can sail downwind.
And MOTOR back!

Sorry pal..your bias is getting in the way of your knowledge base
again. Its quite true what I wrote.

Pass.

Trailerable, yes. 3500 to 4000 pounds tow weight.

Because any more than that and the boat usually doesn't travel much.

Ayup.

Like the guys who say they want to keep the boat on a trailer at home -
it doesn't get sailed much. We kept our Capri 18 in a slip year round
just because we could go jump on the boat and be under sail in 10
minutes. But as always, other people have other ideas...

Ayup.

But high performance to windward. Because any old tub can go downwind!
That means a proper keel under the boat.

Google up some pictures of a wing keel.

Im very aware of what they are. I was winning races in the mid 1980s.

This arrangement adds an "end plate" to a fairly short low-aspect ratio
keel.

It also puts a lot of lead ( a dense heavy fairly soft METAL ) way
down low, so the same righting moment actually weighs less.
Less weight means less surface area in the water and less drag.

Ayup

But a deep fin will still point higher (sail closer to the apparent
wind). Even in California.

Sometimes. And sometimes a faster boat will simply sail wider and
still clean your clock. Dont forget..Ive been racing since the mid
80s..and my last racer was a Thistle. So I do know a tinsey winsey
bit about sailing etc etc. A smideon.

Able to walk the mast up and down solo.
The Capri 22 is marginal there, but an A-frame system would solve that.
I could walk a 25 foot mast up without it (in my exuberant youth).

Im pondering a A frame after rigging the V24 the first time.

Again, google is your friend. look for "mast raising systems".

Oh Im a member of a number of the Yahoo boating groups...I ve got
about 5 different "prints and pics" and Ill get around to building
something up before long. I just finished the E20..and thats easy to
hoist..even with the HEAVY 25' mast. On the V24..if the cabin wasnt
so tall..it would be easy too..but finding purchase to get up on the
cabin top..thats an issue. Its not the weight...it requires me to be
as agile as a monkey..and after 2 back surgeries..Im not as limber as
I used to be. So Im gonna cheat and build something to help.
I singlehand a lot..so I need something to help a tad.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---