Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Ford Ranger won't start

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:40:42 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Erik" wrote in message

Do this, reach under and give the bottom of the fuel tank several

open handed slaps... have a hunch it'll 'wake up' a failing fuel

pump. (Works the same as rapping on a failing starter motor.)

If it does work, and the chances are good... don't put off getting a

new fuel pump. You may in fact 'get away' with the slapping thing

more than once, but you'll now be on borrowed time.

This is a good 'self rescue' tactic to keep in the back of your

mind, and always a good place to begin with an otherwise unexplained

no start on fuel injected vehicle. Not 100% effective, but

successful more often one would imagine... quick, simple & free as

well.

Let us know how it goes.

Erik

FWIW, the tank on my 4WD 91 rests on a steel skidplate. The pump is

suspended from a large round hatch in the top.

jsw

I had to change the pump in my '92. Oh my god what a hassle that was. the plastic tank had been form-fit into every little crevice to max out the capacity, at various points the rear suspension had to be fully compressed or more than fully extended. The shop manual said to just pull the rear axle.