Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to evaluate silver plate v solid silver

On 29/11/13 14:43, ss wrote:
On 29/11/2013 08:09, Tim+ wrote:
On 28/11/13 19:39, ss wrote:
I have an item that is silver but would like to determine if it is
solid
(doubtful) or just plated.
From what I can gather solid has a hallmark which this hasnt.
Plated will attract a magnet which this doesnt.

not necessarily., plated is usually brass.

in general there is a different sound to solid silver, it doesn't
'ring'
like brass does.

And the hallmark should say EPNS if its plated somewhere.

It was not made for public sale so maybe got under the radar in
some way.

Are there any markings? IIRC form some ancient antiques roadshow silver
- solid silver - cannot be legally made without a hallmark.

Any thoughts?

There are no markings at all but I do recognise the silver tarnishing
and
I have just polished it up (again) It was given to me by my company in
1980 as silver but cant remember if plated or solid.
There was a gold version that was solid (I think I remember that out of
jealousy) but we didnt qualify for them :-(

Given that it's un-hallmarked and made as a one-off, it's probably
only of
sentimental value to you. I doubt that you can put any value on it other
than it's simple weight in silver (if that's what it is). Just out of
interest, why do you want to evaluate it?

Tim

Its something I was given when I worked for the company and was going to
bin it then thought a collector may buy it, its a silver pot noodle and
will try and get £100 as only 200 ever produced in 1980, I know they had
a solid gold version but only about 10 of those. No harm in trying.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps3f2a00c6.jpg

Vile beyond belief. Just advertise it as a 'gay silver pot noodle
holder' and you will get a grand for it.

The more scathing I have been on product descriptions the more I have
got for utter crap. "Suitable present for unwanted relative" did really
well as did "appalling genre fantasy made worse by unnecessary gay
relationship between the protagonists"

The only thing that sells higher, is Nazi stuff.

Also check the engraving. You normally engrave first and plate
afterwards and that is distinctly different from engraved solid. that
has sharp burred edges.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.