Posted to uk.d-i-y
Road_Hog[_4_] Road_Hog[_4_] is offline

Default How to evaluate silver plate v solid silver

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:39:07 PM UTC, ss wrote:
I have an item that is silver but would like to determine if it is solid

(doubtful) or just plated.

From what I can gather solid has a hallmark which this hasnt.

Plated will attract a magnet which this doesnt.

It was not made for public sale so maybe got under the radar in some way.

Any thoughts?

Take it to a decent buyer of gold and silver, where they will X-ray it to see if it's plated or not. If it's plated they'll hand it back, if it's solid, then they'll offer you a scrap price, which you can accept or decline.

There's a good one in Telford way, on a trading estate (not a jewellers/pawn brokers type place) which is very efficient and offers the best scrap prices.