Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default How to evaluate silver plate v solid silver

On 28/11/13 19:39, ss wrote:
I have an item that is silver but would like to determine if it is solid
(doubtful) or just plated.
From what I can gather solid has a hallmark which this hasnt.
Plated will attract a magnet which this doesnt.

not necessarily., plated is usually brass.

in general there is a different sound to solid silver, it doesn't 'ring'
like brass does.

And the hallmark should say EPNS if its plated somewhere.

It was not made for public sale so maybe got under the radar in some way.

Are there any markings? IIRC form some ancient antiques roadshow silver
- solid silver - cannot be legally made without a hallmark.

Any thoughts?

There are no markings at all but I do recognise the silver tarnishing
and I have just polished it up (again) It was given to me by my company
in 1980 as silver but cant remember if plated or solid.
There was a gold version that was solid (I think I remember that out of
jealousy) but we didnt qualify for them :-(