Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default How to evaluate silver plate v solid silver

On 28/11/2013 20:30, John Williamson wrote:
On 28/11/2013 20:04, ss wrote:
On 28/11/2013 19:53, John Williamson wrote:
On 28/11/2013 19:39, ss wrote:
I have an item that is silver but would like to determine if it is
solid
(doubtful) or just plated.
From what I can gather solid has a hallmark which this hasnt.
Plated will attract a magnet which this doesnt.
It was not made for public sale so maybe got under the radar in some
way.

Any thoughts?

You *could* try working out the specific gravity of the item, if you've
got scales and a liquid measure accurate enough. The problem is that
differing grades of silver have different densities,depending on what's
in the alloy.

Some foreign silver isn't hallmarked, just to add to the confusion. An
expert might take a quick look at it and say where it's from, and what
it's likely to be made of.

Not sure where it was manufactured but was for a british company which
doesnt really help.
I have scales that measure grams but just a normal plastic measuring
jug, however I could probably measure the overflow if I immerse in a jug
thats level with water. I have some syringes that I used for filling ink
into printer carts that are possibly accurate enough.
The item weighs 164 grams.
Should I be able to work something out from the volume displacement?

You might need measuring equipment better than what you've just told us
is available. Nickel silver (8400-8900 kg/m3), which is the densest
common foundation for silver plating is about 15% less dense than Silver
(10490), which is one of heaviest common metals.

For the best volumetric accuracy, mark the fluid level on the container
side without the item, add it, shake to remove any air bubbles, and
subtract fluid using the syringes until the mark is reached again.
Always measure to the bottom of the meniscus. Measuring the overflow
from a full container is not an accurate way to do it.

If you have a decent balance then weighing it hung in free space and
then immersed in a jar of water is a nicer way to measure the specific
gravity without having to measure volumes of water.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown